(Last Updated On: July 16, 2023)
What are the types of Ladders?
Ladders and stepladders are indispensable helpers for performing various work in everyday life and at enterprises. It is not easy to imagine performing any work at a height without the use of comfortable and modern ladders.
Ladders can be used in the following areas of activity:
- Construction (repair) work (erection of buildings, installation of roofs, windows, gutters, facade finishing, rear interior finishing);
- Installation work (installation of electrical wiring, installation of ceilings, installation of automatic gates, installation of alarm and video surveillance systems, installation of advertising structures);
- Works in production (access to machines and mechanisms, maintenance of large-sized installations, maintenance of production facilities);
- Works in stores (placement of goods on display cases, access to stocks in the warehouse, installation of display windows)
- Household work (access to tall cabinets in the house, minor household repairs, replacement of light bulbs);
Types of Ladders:
Today there are quite a few types and models of ladders:
Stepladders are unique portable, L-shaped, aluminum ladders, usually with steps to be folded out to accomplish a specific task.
Ladders of the professional series can be additionally equipped with additional means of safety and movement (handrails, large platform, rollers, and traverses)
Conventional wooden ladders are the simplest type of ladder. However, these stairs must be leaned against a wall or other stable vertical plane to perform any work. The working height of single-section ladders reaches 3-4 m. To achieve a more significant size (from 4 to 11-13 m), it is advisable to use extension-sliding ladders – two- or three-section ladders pulled by hand or with a cable.
Hinged transforming ladders consist of several sections connected by movable mechanisms – hinges. Each team can change its position, which allows you to use the ladder as a different, double-sided ladder or scaffold. Such ladders are universal, are used for a wide range of installation and construction and repair work.
Universal ladders combine the functions of conventional ladders and ladders. They consist of 2 or 3 pull-out sections – each with several steps. First, section connections are secured with clamps, hooks, or clamps.
Towers are mobile collapsible metal structures of a tower type used for work at height. Construction scaffolds, as a rule, have wheels with support screws and have a significant degree of load that they can withstand. The advantage of these structures is their portability and relatively lightweight, so they are easy to move from place to place without disassembling.
Ladders make our work easy but they should be used properly and according to safety rules to avoid any serious injury.
Types based on Materials:
Modern stairs are made from the following materials:
Aluminum alloy with manganese, silicon, and magnesium:
Aluminum stairs are very reliable and durable. Moreover, they are lightweight, which is essential for transportation.
Such ladders do not conduct electric current and are used for electrical work involving the risk of electric shock.
Metal stairs have high strength and reliability. However, they have a large mass and are susceptible to corrosion because of atmospheric and chemical influences.
Recommended Readings (Rated Recommendation)